Starting with a blog or website is a fun part and one of the most important aspects while you start your blog or website is Search Engine Optimization. There are more than 200 factors to get the higher ranking in Search Engine. SEO Friendly URL Structure is one of the most important factors to get higher ranking in search engine.
What is SEO Friendly URLs?
URL describe a blog or website to its visitor and search engines. Making them significant, convincing and perfect is the key to rank well in search engine results. When a search engine crawls the blog or website crawler first, analyze the URL of a blog post or a web page. If it might find a little bit confusing it may end up indexing the website and may chance to lose search engine ranking.
So, keeping URLs well-structured and relevant to the topics can increase the chance to attract more visitors from search engines results.
See below image by moz.com about SEO Cheat Sheet about Anatomy of a URL
What is Search Engine friendly Permalink in WordPress?
In WordPress, permalinks word is defined as permanent links of the web address to link the content of a page, a post, a category, and tag archives. This means URLs of each content should be permanent and never change. Thus, it names as permalinks.
Apart from the default permalinks structure, all of the permalink structure in WordPress are search engine friendly, which includes %post_id% in the U. This structure of permalinks referred as a “Pretty Permalinks” or “Clean URLs”.
You can edit permalinks by visiting Setting → Permalinks in WordPress admin area. In this page, you’ll find various choices for URL structure like:
Plain: This option is WordPress’s default URL structure which is non-SEO friendly URL structure, and it looks like this. https://www.bforblogging.com/?p=123
Day and name: This option is fairly SEO-friendly because it contains post name in URL structure. But this URL structure is a bit of lengthy because it also includes date format. https://www.bforblogging.com/2016/06/22/sample-post/
This kind of URL structure is not right for the blog because it contains date format. And for that reason, your post or content may seem outdated, even if you regularly update it.
Month and name: This option contains month and post name in URL structure, so it is a bit of similar to the day and name choice. The URL structure of this option is like this: https://www.bforblogging.com/2016/06/sample-post/
This kind of option is right for a news site.
Numeric: Numeric option contains number only no post name, so this option is non-SEO friendly. The URL structure that it contains is like this https://www.bforblogging.com/archives/123
Post name: This option is the most SEO friendly option, it is short and contains post name only. It is by default URL structure in latest WordPress. https://www.bforblogging.com/sample-post/
Custom Structure: This kind of URL structure is used to a great publication site while choosing available tags to create custom URL structure which is also SEO friendly. Let see how to create custom URL structure.
Creating Custom URL Structure With Available Tags:
With the combination of several tags, you can create custom URL structure. Here I have listed the tags that you can use to create your custom URL structure.
- %year% – This tag helps to show the year of the post in four digits like 2016.
- %monthnum% – This tag indicates the month of the year in number like 05.
- %day% – This tag indicates the day of the month like 22.
- %hour% – This tag indicates the hour of the day like 11.
- %minute% – This tag indicates minute of the hour like 30
- %second% – This tag indicates second of the minute like 15
- %postname% – This tag helps to indicate the post name in the URL structure. For example, if the post name is what is WordPress than in URL structure it will show like what-is-WordPress.
- %post_id% – This tag helps to create unique ID of the post like 124
- %category% – This tag shows the category name in URL structure.
- %author% – This tag shows the author name in the URL structure.
Once you save the changes after choosing your Permalink structure, WordPress will automatically update your site’s .htaccess file, and you’ll see the changes in your site’s URL structure.
- There are certain notes that you need to take care of, and those are listed below:
It will not be sufficient to change Permalink structure of your site if it has run for more than 6 months.
- There is a risk of changing your permalinks structure on an established site because you can lose your entire social media share and yes, of course, the existing SEO ranking too. Even after expert advice, you can lose social share.
- If your site URL is plain then no matter how old your site is, you can still change your permalink structure. Yes, but you still lose your social share counts.
Hope this article has been helpful to you. Do share your feedback with us.